A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
11th President of India & Missile man of India
A life story of A. P. J. Abdul Kalam
- 1931 - Born in Rameshwaram,Tamil Nadu,India.
- 1955 He moved to Madras to study aerospace engineering in Madras Institute of Technology.
- 1960 Kalam joined the Aeronautical Development Establishment of the Defence Research and Development Organisation as a scientist after becoming a member of the Defence Research & Development Service (DRDS).
- 1969 Kalam was transferred to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) where he was the project director of India's first Satellite Launch Vehicle (SLV-III) which successfully deployed the Rohini satellite in near-earth orbit in July 1980.
- 1965Kalam had first started work on an expandable rocket project independently at DRDO in 1965
- 1970s and 1990s Kalam made an effort to develop the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) and SLV-III projects, both of which proved to be successful.
- 25 July 2002 – 25 July 2007 11th President of India
- 27 July 2015 (aged 83) Died in Shillong, Meghalaya, India
- 1981 Padma Bhushan Government of India
- 1990 Padma Vibhushan Government of India
- 1994 Distinguished Fellow Institute of Directors (India)
- 1995 Honorary Fellow National Academy of Medical Sciences
- 1997 Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration Indian National Congress
- 1997 Bharat Ratna President of India
- 1998 Veer Savarkar Award Government of India
- 2000 Ramanujan Award Alwars Research Centre, Chennai
- 2007 Honorary Doctorate of Science and Technology Carnegie Mellon University
- 2007 King Charles II Medal Royal Society, UK
- 2007 Honorary Doctorate of Science University of Wolverhampton, UK
- 2008 Doctor of Engineering (Honoris Causa) Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- 2008 Doctor of Science (Honoris Causa) Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- 2009 Honorary Doctorate Oakland University
- 2009 Hoover Medal ASME Foundation, USA 2009 International von Kármán Wings Award California Institute of Technology, USA
- 2010 Doctor of Engineering University of Waterloo
- 2011 IEEE Honorary Membership IEEE
- 2012 Doctor of Laws (Honoris Causa) Simon Fraser University
- 2013 Von Braun Award National Space Society
- 2014 Honorary professor Beijing University, China
- 2014 Doctor of Science Edinburgh University, UK
“Don’t take rest after your first victory because if you fail in second, more lips are waiting to say that your first victory was just luck.”--11th President of India & Missile man of India